/* CSS Document */ Kenneth Leung's Media Blog: An iPod Classroom?

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

An iPod Classroom?

Grade 10 Journal Entry Question #2
1. The article suggests that iPod video lectures are effective for '"kinesthetic learners", who tend to be hands-on, active, and require frequent breaks." Do you think that you would learn well using an iPod? Why or why not?

I would say no. Why? Because not everyone has an iPod. Even if I did have an iPod, my answer would still be no. Learning from an iPod is the same from learning from a video on a small monitor. I don't see how it is for more hands-on learners, you never get to touch the things in the classroom like equipment for an experiment. Instead, you are separated by a plane of glass and watch, or just listen to a little teacher in your idiotBox. I would prefer everything the teacher says to be written, that's what you need at the end anyways.

2. An advocate for "v-casting" through the iPod says that: "It'’s more interactive and more self-directed." Do you think that Mary Ward, with its commitment to self-directed learning, should embrace such technology for education? What are some advantages or disadvantages?

Trying new technology and new ways to learn never hurts. Mary Ward should try such technologies but keep it optional. This would help people that suits their way of learning while not affecting people that don’t like learning this way. As long as we test it for a year or two before trying to pave it in to units, most of the disadvantages should be noticed and gone by then. New ways of completing seminars and upgraded webmarks and test centre technology will always be weclomed in my eyes.

2 Comments:

At Tue Jun 05, 11:21:00 p.m., Blogger Ryan said...

Excellent Blog. I really liked your opinion on why Video Casting isn't a hand's on wa of learning at all. It is seperated by glass. Very good point! I didn't really think aobut it when i wrote my blog but your's opened my mind to realizing that it is true that in the end, you need the written notes.
Also, it was interesting to read your final statement about how the ipod can be used in Mary Ward. I think it would be great if everyone with an Ipod could look at the seminar schedule and get their test authorizations just by scrolling through on their Ipod. It'll save alot of time and even printing paper for sure!
Excellent Blog, keep it up.

 
At Sat Jun 09, 05:23:00 p.m., Blogger Largo said...

I agree with your final statement. Mary Ward needs to debug existing systems before we fully embrace such technology.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home